Our pediatrician is a perky blonde cheerleader-type. She's very nice and encouraging. At Sophie's last appointment, she told me Sophie was getting somewhere around 1/2 of the recommended milk intake for babies her age. She then informed me cheerily that I could now discontinue baby food and feed Sophie exclusively table food.
IS SHE CRAZY???
I think Dr. Morel needs to spend a few days at our house, and then let me know what she thinks about feeding poor, pure little Sophie our table food.
Our food pyramid looks something like this (from bottom to top, forgive me for not having the design skill, talent or software to show this graphically):
1) Base: Breads and french fries.
2) Then, pizza (oops, that's kind of a bread) and burgers (oh yeah... the bun is bread).
3) Tacos, nachos, and other Mexican cuisine (um, I think there's actually a lot of bread in those too) .
5) Ice cream, microwave popcorn, salads with Bacos, cheese, croutons and honey mustard or ranch dressing...
6) And at the itsy bitsy top of the period, veggies and fruits. You know, carrots, green beans, squash, apples and bananas? All the stuff they make baby food out of? (Sometimes, we've found that restaurants sneak this kind of stuff into the dishes you order. We've also found that when cooked in butter and brown sugar or fried, a lot of it tastes pretty decent, especially served with a ribeye.)
So Dr. Morel will have to forgive me if I continue to shove baby food into Sophie for as long she will possibly allow it. If she's a true Flanigan baby, her contents will be 90% hot dogs and french fries soon enough as it is.
Fun at the Fair
9 months ago