Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Whispering Hills: Tearing it down the hard way.

Whispering Hills status update: We've got a plan. We've got a temporary power pole. We've got a huge mess.

The plan is to build a garage with a mother-in-law suite and add a second story to most of the main house.

We've had to tear into the structure pretty far, though. As you can see from the pictures we've had to remove all the 3/4" tounge and groove hardwood AND the 5/8" plywood subfloor which was all damaged beyond repair. This left only floor joists exposed. I believe the sub-floor damage was due to water. The plywood was completely delaminated which made its removal especially challanging - it just crumbled into tiny pieces. We have replaced the floor joists in the kitchen which were rotted and sagging and began to replace the sub-floor with 3/4" OSB which can be seen in one of the pictures. Why didn't we just tear it down? Well we basically have... the hard way: piece by piece.

This week I've hired our framers to tear off the roof and put it in the dumpster in preparation for the addition. After this, we will finish the subfloor re-deck.

I have always wanted to try my hand at concrete forming and have began the process of forming up the garage foundation. This, I'm afraid, will not be a cost-effective decision due to the relatively low cost of the professional guys and my super-slow progress with my hourly guys... but I always wanted to try it. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

We were able to burn a lot of the oak hardwood Saturday keeping it out of my dumpster. Check out the fire!

-Andy
The raging fire

The future garage

Sad shell of a house


Installation of new floor decking

No comments: